*Ways to donate*
Firstly a huge thank you to the kind and generous donations already given by local farmers, companies, organisations and individuals – your amazing support is much appreciated and our Young Farmer colleagues in Somerset are hugely grateful. We have had calls from existing supporters of Essex Young Farmers and people who have just been touched by the appeal and wish to do something to help the plight of the beleaguered Somerset farmers.
People are pledging hay, straw, haylage and silage as well as monetary support and we are simply co-ordinating these donations. The Young Famers are all volunteering their time so it means the Somerset farmers will get 100% of all donations and even the haulage of the forage is being generously provided by Tescos so not a drop of straw will be wasted! Kindly note we will send acknowledgements of your donations as soon as the main rush of donations calms down – all our time is currently being spent co-ordinating the effort so the farmers get the aid as soon as possible.
If you would like to donate in any way, here are the options available:
- Please send a cheque made payable to “Essex Young Farmers” along with your contact details so we can acknowledge receipt to Essex YFC Centre, Whitbreads Barn, Chatham Green, Chelmsford, Essex CM3 3LQ
- Kindly BACS your donation to our account number: 80387401, sort code: 20-19-95 with Forageaid in the reference. If you would like an acknowledgement of your donation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details
- If you wish to pay by card, please call 01245 360442, but please note the County Office is open 9.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday only.
- Please note if you can Gift Aid the donation.
- Please call Ed Ford our Vice County Chairman who, along with his hard working team of volunteer Young Farmers, is doing a great job co-ordinating the collection, short term storage and onward haulage of all forage. Tel: 07885 911068
Following a call from our County Chairman Sam Iddison last Friday (7th February) to find ways to help the Somerset Farmers, Ed Ford our Vice County Chairman has been co ordinating #Forageaid donations at his family farm at Brentwood. On Monday a call went out to members and subscribers of the Essex County Federation of Young Farmers’ Clubs
I am sure you are all aware of the ongoing crisis on the Somerset levels. Essex Young Farmers have decided we have to do something to help the farmers down there. So we have purchased a lorry load of haylage which will be destined for Sedgemore Auction Centre where it will be distributed to farmers who require help. If you would like to donate any straw, hay , haylage or bales of silage please contact me with what you have and where we need to collect it from and we will collect it from you next weekend. I am sure you all understand the gravity of the situation and I hope you can help.’
Since this message, offers of haylage, hay, straw and cheques have been flooding in. Ed and the team are busy getting ready to dispatch the loads from Childerditch Hall, Brentwood to Sedgemoor Auction Centre on Tuesday.
The Essex Young Farmers are a youth organisation made up of 16-26 year olds and, despite the name, you don’t have to be a farmer to join; absolutely anyone can be a member! Essex Young Farmers is run by its members for its members so everyone has the chance to have a say in what goes on.
With 12 clubs across the county there really is something for everyone, be it organising events, playing sports, fundraising for charities or simply enjoying the social side of it all!
Essex Young Farmers also have competitions every month for clubs to take part in, including bowling, rugby, mixed hockey, football, netball, public speaking, tug of war and many more.
As if this wasn’t enough for us to be getting on with, Essex Young Farmers also organises one of the county’s biggest annual Country Shows. This is attended by almost 14,000 people and is organised and run entirely by us, the members. If you are looking for a challenge then this might just be for you!
The Essex Young Farmers Country Show 2014 is kindly sponsored by P. Tuckwell Limited – agricultural machinery specialists.